Monday, March 23, 2009

The Mainland


My time on the mainland was incredibly brief, so I am by no means an expert on Honduras. This weekend I went with a friend to the city of La Ceiba on the coast of Honduras. We took a 2 hour long ferry ride from Roatan over.

(As an aside: My friend is amazing. She has completed her undergraduate degree, did 2 years in the Peace Corps, joined Americorps and is now living in Roatan for almost 6 months volunteering with the same organization I am working with, Global Healing. She is confident, sarcastic, hilarious and knows everyone on the island. Her name is Chrissy, and she has greatly added to my experience here.

A lot of people have asked if I am travelling with anyone else, and the answer is no. I came down on my own. There is another volunteer doctor here, also in her third year of residency, and there is Chrissy, who plans to go to medical school in a few years, but for the most part it is just me - and Eric who comes in next Sunday.)

Now back to the mainland.

The city itself is large, dirty, busy and you can feel your lungs filling with the pollution of the poorly maintained cars as you walk around. Where the island is a stress reliever, the city is a stress giver - with its hustle and bustle and overcrowdedness. I was eager to get back to my little paradise.

It was wonderful to see the beautiful green mountain ranges. And we travelled into the jungle one day, which was exciting in and of itself. We went to an area that had waterfalls cascading into beautiful deep pools where you could swim. The water was ice cold (not the perfect 70 degree water I had become accustomed to). There were a lot of bugs.

I am usually not as big of a complainer as I am now. Looking on the bright side is my usual state of mind. . . I guess I have grown used to living in paradise. It'll be hard to go back to L.A.!

No comments:

Post a Comment