Friday, April 3, 2009

Catch-up Blogs


I cannot believe it is Friday already. Yet another week has flown by. Let me catch you up on what has been happening here in Paradise:


Snorkeling, Discovering my new favorite drink (and consuming a lot of it) - Rum & Pineapple juice, Relaxing on the beach, Playing cards and dice with Eric and my Honduran BFF Chrissie (a wonderful woman from Kansas who has been on the island for 4 months already and volunteers at the same hospital as I do), Relaxing, Working with the wonderfully nice people here (I diagnosed a broken wrist only to realize that the hospital doesn't have any plaster materials so the mother of the patient had to run out to a pharmacy to buy the materials out of which we could construct her son's cast)


As you can tell, it continues to be a fantastic experience.


Eric and I had our second wedding anniversary on Tuesday. We celebrated by eating some of the best Thai food we have ever had on a dock over the ocean. It was beautiful. Having no idea what the correct representation is for the 2nd anniversary (paper, gold, diamond, etc) we declared it to be shrimp and ate accordingly.


I will admit that the island lifestyle has finally become a little frustrating for me - I cannot imagine living here forever and actually trying to be productive. Everything happens on "island time" which means hours after you had planned if it happens that day at all. Initially I was charmed by the relaxed and lazy pace of everything. But now, after 3 and a half weeks of relaxing I am ready to start being a bit more productive.


Tomorrow is Eric's birthday. We are planning on making breakfast in the morning (banana and blueberry pancakes with a side of bacon and delicious Honduran coffee), then walking out to West Bay for a day of snorkeling and relaxing in the sun. For his birthday dinner I asked him to choose what he most wanted to try, and his decision was to take a tour of all of the local street food vendors (yikes!) There is a guy who cooks pork with pineapple on a rotisserie for tacos, the older lady who makes delicious baleadas, another woman who makes empanadas and enchiladas (which are more like a Mexican tostada than anything else), and a few others. It should be delicious and interesting. The scary thing is that we leave for home the very next day...I am a little weary of getting on a plane after eating street food in a country ripe with gastrointestinal bugs. At least it'll make for a good story (although not a very pleasant experience!)

No comments:

Post a Comment